This week is ALL ABOUT THE MEMBER LOVE on our young independent radio station, during our second-ever fund drive where we connect what YOU hear with what YOU give to power the music, context and community found on WNXP.
In celebration of a generous matching donation from local bar and record store combo Vinyl Tap in East Nashville on Thursday morning, which allowed many donors to double their dollars in giving to Nashville Public Radio, we played several artists who are so nice they named themselves twice. 👯♀️
Check out the September 16, 2021 #ThematicStatic set featuring my guest host, Jewly Hight (listen👇🏼). And since we can never fit in every request in a single hour, find other great recommendations from fellow listeners and WNXP DJs below, with some videos in the mix. Happy Friday and thanks for your support during the Fall Fund Drive!
- *repeat repeat – “Dearly Departed”
- The Ting Tings – “That’s Not My Name” – while he didn’t request it, listener Todd in Hohenwald texted during this song and said he was “transported” (we think that’s a good thing)
- Frou Frou – “Let Go” – Levia and our own weekend DJ Dan Digs
- LALA LALA – “Diver” – Zach requested a song we’re already playing a lot of and fits this theme perfectly! Zach is not only a regular listener but a bit of a curator in his own right, arranging cool opportunities for Middle Tennesseans over at Do615.com. You can hear him on What Where When-sdays on-air and archived here online, like this week’s rundown of happenings.
- Tom Tom Club – “On On On On” – Kylee out in Colorado asked for this awesome and (my words) historically under-appreciated side project of Talking Heads members Tina Weymouth and Chris Frantz, music that sounds right at home amid electro-pop and dance music made today.
- Duran Duran – “Ordinary World” – hearing this really spoke to one WNXP Twitter follower who wrote:
Man, I was not expecting that. Listening to Duran Duran’s “Ordinary World”WNXP Twitter Follower & Listener
brought back so many memories and is so relevant to these times…..
just wow. Had to take a moment. Great show again!
Django Django – “Glowing in the Dark” – one of several quality picks from our Saturday night DJ Aaron Monty!
Talk Talk – “Talk Talk” – Vince mentioned this band on Instagram and we got 4x the Talk in by playing this track at the end of the hour
- The Go-Go’s – “Our Lips Are Sealed” – Katy requested this one, and I needed to tuck it in this morning on a Thematic Static reprise
- !!! – Mike said “Make it a triple,” and he’d probably add “Go Redlegs!” if I had to guess
- Soul II Soul
- Man Man was requested by Shane, so here’s a taste we love (watch!👇🏼 ):
- Blackbird Blackbird
- The The
- The XX
- JR JR is a band that used to be called Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. before shortening the name a few years ago. This change was made because, as band member Daniel Zott said:
People would drive from all over to meet the actualJr. Jr. for The Daily Beast
Dale Earnhardt Jr., and it would just be us instead.
- Attack Attack
- quickly, quickly
- Everything, Everything
- Tapes ‘n Tapes – surprise, here’s a band I love from a simpler decade, the 2000s. Check out this addictive song “Insistor” from 2006 (watch!👇🏼):
- Gus Gus
- Xiu Xiu
- The Linda Lindas are what I want to be when I grow up. They were signed to Epitaph after this video went viral (watch! 👇🏼) and you can hear their new single “Oh” daily on WNXP!
- Thanks for participating in #ThematicStatic sets each week, and for your founding membership of this station! Oh, what, you’ve yet to become a member? Well, it’s suuuuuper easy when you click the orange Give Now button in the top right of this screen. Also, here you go. We appreciate you!