This week is a big one for releases from artists we love and have been playing a lot lately like Parquet Courts and La Luz along with a whole crate of great new Nashville music from Erin Rae (the video below features our own Emily Young!), Halfnoise, Elel, Jackson + Sellers, and an artist that has been in Nashville a bunch this year Pink Sweat$ (whose show we are presenting at Brooklyn Bowl in Dec.). There’s also a fantastic interview with our Record of the Week artist My Morning Jacket who we can lay some claim to as a couple of band members live in Nashville now.
We start with the latest from one of the best songwriters of his generation – Michael Kiwanuka (thanks to Song Exploder for letting us in on the fact that we’ve been mispronouncing his name for years). This song feels like a continuation of the grand, thoughtful, orchestral approach that led his last album to winning the UK’s top critical honor the Mercury Prize. This song “Beautiful Life” is taken from a new Netflix documentary – Convergence: Courage in a Crisis.
- Michael Kiwanuka “Beautiful Life”
- Jackson + Sellers “Has Been”
- Jive Talk “This Town” (Celia’s pick)
- Beirut “Fisher Island Sound” (Ayisha Jaffer’s pick)
- Halfnoise “Last Day on Earth”
- Elel “UFO”
- Pink Sweat$ “Nothing Feels Better”
- My Morning Jacket Record of the Week Interview
- Erin Rae “Modern Woman”
- Parquet Courts “Homo Sapien”
- La Luz “Goodbye Ghost”
- Animal Collective “Prester John”