This week we mostly line up with the theme of the July 4th weekend at WNXP celebrating “Indie-pendence” by stacking the playlist with artists who are either on indie labels or are self-releasing music. We also play a song from the BIG indie story of the week featuring an artist who is as famous as anyone you are ever likely to hear on the show. We celebrate the release of a duets album on a Nashville indie label, a new single by a formerly Nashville based artist and new music from some of our favorite artists who will be playing in Nashville soon. Of course, it’s not just about Music City – we have new music from the U.K., France and several other U.S. states.
We start in Nashville though with a song that saved my day. Today was a rough one and honestly it felt like my mood wasn’t fair to some of the songs I was skipping right past and then I heard “Half Awake” by Nashville artist Tedadore. It’s a deceptively simple bedroom pop song with satisfying layers and a gorgeous ethereal climb which helped lift that fog — for at least 3 minutes and 32 seconds. His new EP called Circumstantial Confidence came out just last week.
- Tedadore “Half Awake”
- Chicano Batman “Dark Star”
- Liz Cooper “Slice of Life”
- Villagers “So Simpatico”
- LUMP “We Cannot Resist”
- Ric Robertson feat. Lucius “Getting Over Our Love”
- Laura Mvula “Magical”
- Bobby Gillespie & Jehnny Beth “Chase It Down”
- Pom Pom Squad “Head Cheerleader”
- Big Red Machine feat. Taylor Swift “Renegade”
- Benjamin Francis Letfwich “Canary in a Coalmine”
- Slothrust “Once More For the Ocean”
- Polo & Pan “Magic”
- Crumb “Trophy”